Friday, January 5, 2018

Change Of Course


I love photography! I will always love photography. I will always DO photography. If the stars align properly, my photography would be inspiring to others, and contribute to humanity. If my work has any meaning at all, that would be a big wake-up call as to what is happening, not only to wild horses, but to our Public Lands.


Over the course of the past few years, I have gradually come to the realization that, as a photographer, I am not destined for greatness. 

Perhaps, that awareness began when, at a local art exhibition, I discovered that my hand-made frames were of much greater value than my prints. 

The quality of my work is good ... professional quality and all that. I continue to strive to capture the essence of the subject, and with all earnestness, to bring the vitality of life in the Great Basin to visual realization. 

I would ordinarily expect to capture at least two or three images of excellence in any given year, but that has not been the case for quite some time.

I look at some of the things that have been achieved by peers who were at the same level as
 I, a few years ago; those who have experienced a level of monetary success, and moved into positions of authority in their field, and I have no choice but to admit that in this genre, I am not going anywhere. At least, not now.

This is NOT a plea for reassurance. I am confident in my capabilities.

I have merely come to the undeniable realization that I haven't the personality or motivation necessary to excel on a professional level in the marketplace. 
My camera has grown cold, and I feel less passionate about developing new photo skills. The field is a high-tech endeavor, for which I lack both passion and tools.

The notification that my website is being dismantled (for reasons that have nothing to do with me), was the final smack upside my head. Up to that point, 
I had continued to feel a nagging sense of obligation to keep on keeping on, even though my online photo galleries have been neglected for a long time. Frankly, when I was informed about the website closing, more than disappointment or regret, I felt relief.

I find greater satisfaction in other, more organic and three-dimensional forms of expression, now. I have held my enthusiasm for those in check; as if pursuing other genres would be disloyal ... to photography?

So, off I go, free at last! Free at last! Exploring new realms and mediums ... I see metal and glass in my future.



No comments:

Post a Comment